Senior Counsel, Product & Portfolio Legal
At AstraZeneca, we’re not afraid to do things differently. We’re building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening up new ways to work and pioneering cutting edge methods across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, cardiovascular and metabolic disease. We are constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it.
We have an exciting opportunity for a talented, pragmatic and intellectually curious lawyer to join our Product & Portfolio Legal (PPL) Team and support our global respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity (RIA) franchise (one of our three core therapy areas). The role is based at our global headquarters campus in central Cambridge.
We’re a legal function that values flexibility, creativity, and a willingness to learn and accept new challenges. We foster a collaborative environment and focus on professional and personal development. We provide our lawyers with broad experience and the opportunity to work with diverse stakeholders.
The PPL Team works at the heart of the delivery of our exciting portfolio of pipeline and marketed products. We advise the discovery, Global Medicines Development and Global Product & Portfolio Strategy organisations on the research and development, clinical trials and launch and commercialisation of our products – and on commercial and governmental litigation and investigations. We work in new and developing areas of law and business and often have to expand our knowledge and capabilities to support our colleagues on these issues. We relish this variety and opportunity to learn, and our colleagues recognise our adaptability and versatility.
Main duties and responsibilities
Reporting to the Global Legal Director for the RIA franchise, you will focus on supporting our RIA franchise. You will also work flexibly to support other therapy areas, business teams and litigation and coordinate legal advice on significant matters with the broader legal team at AstraZeneca.
The position has a direct impact on key business activities with the potential for significant financial, reputational and legal implications, so excellent legal abilities, strategic thinking, commercial. awareness and influencing skills are key.
You’ll be an active, self-aware business partner with an awareness of the bigger picture, who will articulate legal considerations to senior stakeholders clearly and concisely.
- Excellent legal skills, having trained at a high calibre law firm
- Substantial experience of the management of complex legal arrangements and risks, operating in a global legal environment and working with technically complex businesses subject to multi-jurisdictional legal and regulatory frameworks
- Intellectually curious, appetite for learning and a proven ability to master new subjects quickly and effectively
- Strong leadership capabilities, solutions-oriented and pragmatic mindset
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, often with limited information. Resilient and able to operate effectively under pressure
- Ability to work flexibly and collaboratively and manage and prioritise a diverse workload
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Proactively seek to improve ways of working and to mentor, motivate, and contribute to the professional development of colleagues
- Demonstrated experience of managing accountabilities and stakeholders. High level of integrity and strong work ethic
Highly Desirable Requirements
- Broad, blended legal experience in a range of areas ideally with a background in corporate, litigation and/or regulatory work
- Previous in-house experience within pharmaceuticals, healthcare or another highly-regulated sector
- Strong working knowledge of the pharmaceutical/life sciences industries, including an understanding of the drug development and commercialisation process and of the laws governing the pharmaceutical industry
- Experience in working with European medicinal legal and regulatory regimes and European drug regulatory agencies
- Experience in legal matters related to the development and commercialisation of large molecule/biologics products
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country where the role is advertised.
For AZ Internal Candidates: Band level F