Senior IP Lawyer, Virgin Enterprises Limited
About the Group and the Company
Virgin is one of the most exciting brands in the world, with a reputation for excellence and a unique culture across its diverse range of businesses.
This unique brand is built by breaking into markets to offer consumers a better deal, a better service, or a fresh, innovative way of doing things. This has been Richard Branson’s vision for the brand since the early 1970s.
The Virgin Group focuses on the following core consumer sectors of :
- Financial Services
- Health and Wellness
- Music & Entertainment
- Travel and Leisure
In these markets, Virgin is able to break in and shake things up. Virgin companies are positioned in every market they operate in to be the consumer’s champion, which is achieved by delivering to its brand values of:
The Virgin Group is a family of businesses with a shared brand. The companies are run independently and often have different shareholders and boards. As Virgin grows around the globe, the Group needs to ensure that the new businesses created, operate from the start with a strong emphasis on Brand, People and responsible business practices.
Virgin Management is the home of Virgin. It supports the Branson family and the growth of the Virgin brand by developing and nurturing valuable Virgin businesses around the world. The team has offices in Geneva, London and New York and covers many facets of business including investment, legal, finance, tax, human resources, marketing and corporate relations. It also works alongside Virgin Unite, the charitable foundation of the Virgin Group and alongside Virgin Enterprises which licences the ‘Virgin’ brand.
About The Role
- Senior IP Lawyer, Virgin Enterprises Limited
- Paddington, London
- Head of Legal and IP, Virgin Enterprises Limited
- Support the launch and development of valuable Virgin businesses through drafting and negotiating commercial licence agreements and amendments; monitoring compliance of licensee businesses with their agreements and with brand guidelines; and monitoring and managing infringement activity.
- Provide wider legal/IP support to the Virgin brand and investment teams, including sponsorship agreements, services agreements and commercial contracts.
Key Responsibilities & main stakeholders
- Independent drafting and negotiation of agreements, amendments and terminations;
- Managing licences and licensees including requests to make changes which may impact the current licence e.g. adding a new territory, using a particular name etc.;
- Active participation in the VEL committee, presenting to colleagues in the brand, investment and finance teams;
- Assisting with brand protection, infringements, enforcement implementation and maintenance of processes and systems to record trade marks, domain names and licences;
- Leading and managing cross-functional projects within the Virgin business;
- Become a recognised port of call for IP and legal issues in the absence of the Head of Legal and IP; and
- Instructing, managing and liaising with external counsel.
- Minimum 5 years PQE experience in commercial IP work in the UK or Commonwealth jurisdiction
- Significant commercial and intellectual property law experience (in particular, drafting, negotiating and advising on trade mark licences and other commercial agreements)
- ex-Top IP/commercial practice; in-house experience desirable but not compulsory
- strong experience in large, international commercial deals
Skills & Qualifications
- Degree qualified – 2.1 or better (or equivalent)
- Excellent commercial and legal negotiation, drafting, analysis and writing skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to articulate opinion clearly and persuasively;
- Strong relationship builder, understanding the need to build good internal relationships across the organisation and external relationships with licensees and service providers;
- Possessing a natural sense of urgency and drive to meet deadlines, whilst also able to multitask and find workable and flexible commercial and legal solutions to complex problems;
- Possessing strong attention to detail; and
- Some experience of managing people and projects (including process and budget considerations)