Junior/Mid-Level Structured Debt Lawyer
Clifford Chance is one of the world's leading law firms, helping clients achieve their goals by combining the highest global standards with local expertise. The firm has unrivalled scale and depth of legal resources across the three key markets of the Americas, Asia and Europe and focuses on the core areas of commercial activity: capital markets; corporate and M&A; finance and banking; real estate; tax; pensions and employment; litigation and dispute resolution.
Our Structured Debt team is consistently ranked as a Tier 1 securitisation practice in the UK, Europe and globally. We are at the forefront of market trends and developments and have a strong bench of practitioners who are recognised in the market as leaders in the field. Their combined expertise spans the complete spectrum of asset classes involving securitisation.
We advise across the entire range of market participants, including issuers and originators, arrangers and dealers, trustees, swap providers and servicers through to governments, regulators and rating agencies, which gives us an unparalleled overview of the concerns, trends and developments in the market.
• Finance: Securitisation (Tier 1) - Legal500 2017
• Capital Markets: Securitisation (Band 1) – Chambers 2017
We regularly advise on some of the most prominent and innovative transactions in the market. Recent examples include Tank & Rast's structured secured corporate debt platform, UKAR's disposal of multi- billion legacy Bradford & Bingley and Norther Rock assets under Project Slate, Project Neptune and project Ripon and associated securitisation, all of UK commercial banks' and cards issuers' credit cards programmes and issuances, multi-jurisdictional receivables transactions involving all forms of trade receivables, including equipment leases, shipping receivables and handset receivables, multiple CMBS 2.0 transactions, new origination warehouses involving residential mortgages loans, small ticket CRE loans, SME assets and other consumer assets and related public take-out, auto loan securitisation for captive issuers and banks. Many of our transactions have won or been shortlisted for Deals of the Year awards of leading legal directories.
Clifford Chance has developed a unique, strong and cohesive European network of over 50 partners, covering both domestic and cross-border securitisation. The firm has established and well-respected securitisation teams in Belgium, CEE, England, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, The Netherlands and Spain (backed up by US securities and regulatory lawyers both from within those jurisdictions and also from our offices in New York and Washington).
Lawyers in the network operate closely to our clients' advantage, drawing on the market leading and in depth know-how that resides in our team – including knowledge of jurisdictions and markets, regulators and industry bodies and bespoke securitisation tools, technology and technical solutions.
Members of our team are active participants in a multitude of industry groups and market and regulatory initiatives.
Our lawyers work as part of the deal team servicing a top tier client base including some of the leading International Investment Banks, Commercial Banks, Private Equity Firm/Hedge Funds, Asset Managers, specialty finance companies and other major corporates.
The Structured Debt Lawyer will have the opportunity to gain top quality experience across the following diverse areas of work:
• Structuring and executing securitisations on commercial and residential portfolios, credit cards, auto loans and other consumer assets, receivables, collateralized Loan Obligations (CLO's), Infrastructure Projects and secured corporate lending platforms, other assets classes suitable for financing (e.g. rental fleet securitisation);
• Repacking platforms and stand-alone transactions involving commercial real estate and residential mortgage loans;
• loan portfolio acquisitions and disposals and related financing (both private and public), with particular focus on commercial, residential and consumer loans;
• Non-performing loan acquisition and financing and structured commercial estate loans;
• Central bank financing schemes;
• Restructuring of transactions; and
• Refinancing of transactions as a result of legal, regulatory and market developments.
• We are pioneers with unrivalled knowledge of the market and we have developed many of the market standard transitions.
• You will work on ground breaking deals for top tier clients.
The range, calibre and international scope of our deal flow is unique -and makes us stand out from our competitors.
• We offer all our lawyers real opportunity for secondment, whether to one of our overseas offices or to a London based client.
• We are proud of our reputation for being a very informal, meritocratic and diverse group and reinforce this with regular social events - both ad hoc and organised.
• Our remuneration package is one of the most attractive in the market and includes significant potential for bonus
We are seeking outstanding junior/mid-level lawyers with proven experience to join our team.
In all cases you should have first class legal ability coupled with a practical commercial approach, excellent drafting and communication skills, and the ability to work to tight deadlines and enjoy being part of a diverse and outgoing team.
More specifically you will have experience of drafting financing documents, loan and bond financing, acquisition financing and cross-border deals.
Your knowledge and experience will probably have been gained at a leading practice with a reputation for work in securitisation, structured finance (including leveraged and infrastructure finance) and collateralised loan obligations. General capital markets experience may also be considered.
A strong academic history is essential.
In order to provide outstanding client service, we need to understand, anticipate and fulfil the unique needs and expectations of each client. We call this "Client Focus" and to help deliver this core part of our business strategy, we want to recruit lawyers who not only have the very highest level of technical skills but are also Client Focused.
We are looking for lawyers who:
- can demonstrate a keen interest and enthusiasm to learn about our clients' business;
- can work in teams, sharing knowledge and motivating and coaching their juniors and contributing to overall success;
- are empathetic, responsive and reliable;
- are commercial and innovative in the solutions they deliver to clients;
- are good at fostering relationships with clients;
It is the Firm's policy to treat all employees and job applicants fairly and equally regardless of their gender, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour, national or ethnic origin, social or economic background, disability, religious belief, sexual orientation, or age. Furthermore, the Firm will ensure that no requirement or condition will be imposed without justification which could disadvantage individuals purely on any of the above grounds.
The policy applies to recruitment and selection, terms and conditions of employment including pay, promotion, training, transfer and every other aspect of employment.
The Firm will regularly review its procedures and selection criteria to ensure that individuals are selected, promoted and otherwise treated according to their relevant individual abilities and merits.
The firm is committed to the implementation of this policy and to a programme of action to ensure that the policy is, and continues to be, fully effective. All staff are required to comply with the policy and to act in accordance with its objectives so as to remove any barriers to equal opportunity. Any act of discrimination by employees or any failure to comply with the terms of the policy will result in disciplinary action.