Location: Cambridge, UK
Qualified as a UK and/or European Patent Attorney and with an excellent degree or equivalent in chemistry or biochemistry, you’re ready to make an impact on a global, FTSE100 biopharmaceutical company. At AstraZeneca, we’re transforming our pipeline with scientific discoveries and progressing towards leadership in our core therapeutic areas. Protecting our innovations in early stage drug development and beyond is critical which is why we’re looking for more Patent Attorneys in Cambridge.
We need people who can combine technical expertise with personality and presence to help us achieve our commercial goals. In return, you can expect wide exposure to our R&D teams and stakeholders, plus a total commitment to your professional development within a legal function that values flexibility, creativity, and a willingness to accept new challenges. With a wide-ranging portfolio of pipeline assets and commercial products, we can design a balanced portfolio that reflects your existing experience and seniority, providing opportunities to develop new skills and realise your potential.
Main duties and responsibilities
Taking on a role that bridges science and legal practice, you’ll be a global business IP advisor. This will entail managing the patent portfolio for assigned projects and products, and keeping up to date with emerging legal and pharma developments to help set and implement the global IP strategy in your area in collaboration with the Senior Patent Director.
Key objectives will be to identify and manage all associated IP risks – communicating them to IP, legal and business teams. You’ll craft strategies for the filing, prosecution, maintenance and defence of patents in your portfolio against third-party challenges. You may also work on business development deals or coordinate our response to legal changes in a particular country or region. Managing external spend to meet budget targets will also be part of your role.
- Fully qualified UK or European Patent Attorney
- Excellent degree or equivalent in chemistry or biochemistry, with previous experience of handling pharmaceutical patent portfolios
- Strategic thinking abilities
- Experience of patent practice in multiple markets and jurisdictions
- Strong written and spoken communication skills in English
- Excellent time management and prioritisation skills.
- Experience in the pharmaceutical industry
- Experience of managing external service providers.
- First-hand experience of IP-related litigation