Pro Bono Lawyer
Clifford Chance is one of the world's leading law firms, helping clients achieve their goals by combining the highest global standards with local expertise. The Firm has unrivalled scale and depth of legal resources across the three key markets of the Americas, Asia and Europe and focuses on the core areas of commercial activity: capital markets; corporate and M&A; finance and banking; real estate; tax; pensions and employment; litigation and dispute resolution. Clifford Chance's aim is to be the leader of an elite group of law firms.
Doing good in the communities around the world where Clifford Chance does business is a key strand of the firm's business strategy. The Pro Bono and Community Outreach team in London is responsible for the delivery of the in-kind investment that the London office makes, usually in the form of pro bono work and community outreach volunteering, in local community organisations, schools, NGOs and charities.
The role of the Pro Bono lawyer is to oversee and manage the London office's pro bono programmes. From time to time the role will also involve supporting the Pro Bono Director in delivery of the firm's global pro bono strategy.
• Oversee and manager the London office's institutional pro bono programmes (e.g. FreeLaw and other regular public-facing, advice-giving services), including liaising with presenters and attendees, preparing and delivering training as appropriate
• Oversee and manage the London office's strategic pro bono NGO relationships
• Providing professional support with legal volunteers (partners, associates, trainees and paralegals) on pro bono matters as appropriate, and providing initial conflict advice for volunteers on issues affecting conflict of interest
• Assessing new pro bono requests, liaising with pro bono partner champions where necessary
• Sourcing and allocation of pro bono work in the London office
• Monitor and evaluate the impact of the London office's pro bono practice
• Promote engagement in and publicise the achievements of the London pro bono's practice
• To support the Pro Bono Director in the Firm's delivery of pro bono collaboration opportunities to fee-paying clients
• To represent the firm externally in its engagement with key UK pro bono stakeholders and civil society organisations
• To support the Pro Bono Director in the firm's thought leadership and contributions to the wider policy debate on the interrelationship between pro bono and access to justice in the UK
• Encouraging wider pro bono participation
• Co-ordinating and networking available expertise to avoid unnecessary research repetition;
• Creating, updating and managing templates, documents and practice notes relating to pro bono activities;
• Liaising with PR and Community Affairs Manager to optimise marketing opportunities re community programme;
• Liaising with the Firm's lawyers to promote community programme generally, and in addition with the Graduate Recruitment team re promotion to potential trainees;
• Liaising with lawyers and pro bono administrators at other firms re best practice;
• Liaising with LawWorks and other relevant bodies as appropriate
We are seeking a Pro Bono Lawyer to join our team. We will consider England & Wales qualified lawyers as well as lawyers qualified in other jurisdictions.
You should have excellent commercial awareness, drafting and communication skills, and the ability to build strong relationships.
A strong academic history is essential.
In order to provide outstanding client service, we need to understand, anticipate and fulfil the unique needs and expectations of each client. We call this "Client Focus" and to help deliver this core part of our business strategy, we want to recruit lawyers who not only have the very highest level of technical skills but are also Client Focused.
We are looking for lawyers who:
- can demonstrate a keen interest and enthusiasm to learn about our clients' business;
- can work in teams, sharing knowledge and motivating and coaching their juniors and contributing to overall success;
- are empathetic, responsive and reliable;
- are commercial and innovative in the solutions they deliver to clients;
- are good at fostering relationships with clients
It is the Firm's policy to treat all employees and job applicants fairly and equally regardless of their gender, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour, national or ethnic origin, social or economic background, disability, religious belief, sexual orientation, or age. Furthermore, the Firm will ensure that no requirement or condition will be imposed without justification which could disadvantage individuals purely on any of the above grounds.
The policy applies to recruitment and selection, terms and conditions of employment including pay, promotion, training, transfer and every other aspect of employment.
The Firm will regularly review its procedures and selection criteria to ensure that individuals are selected, promoted and otherwise treated according to their relevant individual abilities and merits.
The firm is committed to the implementation of this policy and to a programme of action to ensure that the policy is, and continues to be, fully effective. All staff are required to comply with the policy and to act in accordance with its objectives so as to remove any barriers to equal opportunity. Any act of discrimination by employees or any failure to comply with the terms of the policy will result in disciplinary action.