Funds Lawyer - Mid Level / Senior Level
Location: London or Sheffield
Hours: Full Time
Experience level: Mid Level, Senior Level (indicative PQE 4 – 8 years*)
Salary: £70,000 - £85,000 (dependent on experience and location)
Benefits package: 30 days holiday, pension scheme (employer contributions 15%), life assurance, performance related bonus and child care vouchers.
Purpose of the job:
To provide legal support to a number of product areas covering a broad range of funds-based transactions and to support the activities of the wider Legal and Governance team.
- Providing legal support to a number of product areas, covering a broad range of funds transactions including private closed ended debt funds and venture capital funds, funds-of-funds, listed funds, and non-regulated investment vehicles funded by private and public sources of finance
- Advising on financial regulation
- Providing general commercial advice in an in-house financial services context.
- Contributing to standardisation of transaction documentation and process, know-how and training.
- Managing external counsel.
- Based in Sheffield or London, but the successful candidate will be required to work one or two days a month in the “non-home” office.
Technical skills and experience
• Excellent technical skills essential, with knowledge of a range of products within the funds space, including debt and venture, private closed ended and publicly listed, foreign and domestic funds structures. Experience of acting for institutional investors with a similar profile to the Bank a distinct advantage.
• Technical expertise in financial regulation advisory, both in the context of transactional work and in the context of advising clients on regulated activities and exemptions.
• In-house experience (including on secondment) of advising on and managing funds transactions in the financial services/asset management space desirable, but the Legal and Governance Team has a good track record of supporting and developing private practice lawyers making their first move to in-house.
• Experience of working in a publicly sector body or economic development bank an advantage.
• Very strong transactional skills, with experience of working with front line business leads essential. Experience of managing external legal counsel highly desirable.
• Knowledge of one or more of state aid, public law, freedom of information, data protection, judicial review, procurement law desirable.
• General commercial legal skills, including an ability to handle non-funds legal work in an in-house environment.
Internal and external stakeholders
Reporting to a Director in the Legal and Governance team and working closely with product teams, the rest of the Legal and Governance Team and the General Counsel and other internal central function and product teams. External stakeholders include BEIS, UKGI, other government departments and bodies, delivery partners and their advisers.
• Team player, “can do” attitude with very strong interpersonal skills.
• Able to work autonomously and able to manage upwards to line manager and General Counsel to ensure consistency of approach and judgement across the whole Legal and Governance team.
• Comfortable working in fast paced environment; capable of prioritising competing demands; resilient.
• Sound judgement when handling internal and external stakeholders and managing legal and operational risks. Acting as an ambassador for the Legal and Governance team in all work undertaken.
• Willingness to get involved in day-to-day activities of a busy, high-performing in-house legal department.
• Willingness to work outside of comfort zone. Ability to thrive in an environment where “change” is the norm.
• Demonstrable ability to take on major change projects, manage and embed new processes, and take on wider responsibilities outside of the transactional context.
Qualifications Required for the role
Qualified to practice law in the UK Strong academics
Stated PQE is a guide only and candidates with fewer or more years PQE are not precluded from applying
More searches like this
- Intellectual Property In House Lawyer / Solicitor PQE 6 - 10 years jobs in Sheffield
- Data Protection In House Lawyer / Solicitor PQE 6 - 10 years jobs in Sheffield
- Financial Services In House Lawyer / Solicitor PQE 6 - 10 years jobs in Sheffield
- Funds In House Lawyer / Solicitor PQE 6 - 10 years jobs in Sheffield