Deputy General Counsel
Deputy General Counsel
Fixed term contract (Maternity Cover)
We are looking for an experienced individual to join us as Deputy General Counsel, supporting the General Counsel in providing advice on legal matters across Save the Children, in particular by advising on commercial, funding and programming contracts, disputes and international aspects of Save the Children UK’s work.
In our Support Services department, we fight for children every single day. We provide leadership and direction in the business of running an efficient organisation. We ensure our resources are used to maximum effect. We go the extra mile - and we don’t rest until the work is done.
As Deputy General Counsel you will manage the day to day general legal queries to the Legal & Compliance Team from staff, including the Legal Counsels and distribution of work from the Legal Inbox. You will also manage the creation and updating of standard form legal contracts and related guidance notes. In addition you will:
- Advise staff on legal issues and risks arising in the course of Save the Children’s operations and promote compliance with policies, procedures and legal requirements
Manage any legal disputes and litigation matters involving Save the Children, including liaising with internal stakeholders, Save the Children International and external lawyers
- Play a leading role in managing the provision of support by the Legal &Compliance Team to Save the Children’s charitable subsidiaries and other linked organisations
- Supervise trainee and volunteers.
To be successful you will be an English qualified solicitor or barrister with substantial experience gained in-house or in a proactive private practice environment and good knowledge of contract and commercial law and practice. As well as well-developed negotiating skills and high ethical standards, you will also be a good team member who is able to lead, manage and inspire others. In addition you will have:
- The ability to build credibility quickly and to communicate with impact, including influencing at senior management level
Effective time management skills with the ability to drive performance standards and delegate as appropriate
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to present complex issues clearly at all levels
- Good IT skills including the ability to use Microsoft Office products and online resources effectively.
At Save the Children we are committed to the safeguarding and protection of children in our work. We will do everything possible to ensure that only those who are suitable to work with children are recruited to work for us. This post is subject to a range of vetting checks including a criminal records disclosure.
If you share our belief in the power of children, join the fight. It takes relentless determination, creativity and a real commitment to real change. Because every child should be able to make their mark on their world, and help to build a better future. We look forward to hearing from you.
To apply please visit our website.
Closing date: 17th September 2018